Pick out your garment.
- Items that are 100% cotton work best! Now is also the time to decide if you will be bleach dying or color dying. Your shirt color will depend on that!
Get your dye ready!
- Mix your dye and put it into a smaller squeeze bottle and set aside.
Tie your shirt
- There are many ways to do this stage and it will depend on the outcome you’re looking for. Today we’re going to talk about the classic twist the dye.
- Pick a starting point and begin twisting the shirt until it’s twisted into a circle.
- Secure with rubber bands
- Now take your rubber bands and begin placing them around the shirt to hold it in place. Place them so they look like pizza slices.
Dye the shirt!
- Make sure you’re doing this outside, in a bathtub, in a sink or over a covered and protected surface!
- Take the twisted shirt and begin covering it in your dye. Even if the outside is completely covered there will still be white inside!
- If you are using multiple colors, alternate them between the different rubber band marks.
Let sit overnight
- It’s important to let your tie-dye sit overnight. This will help the color be vibrant and long-lasting.
Remove rubber bands and wash your tee!
- First things first, take the rubber bands off the shirt.
- Next, rinse it under some cool water so the colors don’t bleed in the wash.
- Next, throw it in the wash!
- Throw it in the dryer!
Put on your new shirt and enjoy it!